Newburgh Slip-and-Fall Lawyers

In any type of slip-and-fall case, it's important to report the injury to the property owner as soon as possible after the accident and to get medical attention. Your next step should be to call a lawyer. While you may assume that the property owner's insurance will pay for your medical bills, lost wages and other damages, in most cases it will not do so willingly.

At the Hudson Valley law firm of Catania, Mahon & Rider, PLLC, our attorneys will help you navigate the complex world of premises liability law.

Documenting Property Owner Negligence

Insurance companies typically will not pay damages in a slip-and-fall accident case unless you can prove property owner negligence. Just because you slipped and fell does not mean the property owner was at fault. The following are examples of property conditions that may be considered negligent:

  • Spilled substances on a floor
  • Uneven or defective steps
  • Broken or missing railings
  • Code violations
  • Poor lighting
  • Rotten wood on a porch or deck
  • Holes or breaks in sidewalks or pavement
  • Misplaced objects that cause you to trip
  • Accumulated snow and ice

Prompt investigation is needed to document the dangerous or defective conditions that led to your injury. For example, if you slipped on a spilled substance in a grocery store, it's important to know how long the substance was there and whether store staff had an opportunity to clean it up. By promptly interviewing staff, other customers and checking cleaning schedules, we can gather the evidence we need to prove your case and obtain the compensation you deserve.

Fall Accident Attorneys Serving Middletown and Other Hudson Valley Communities

For more information, contact our Newburgh slip-and-fall attorneys. Call 888-719-4746 to schedule an appointment with an experienced New York attorney.