Steven I. Milligram
Steven I. Milligram, Esq. (Steve) is highly regarded as one of the premier litigators in the Hudson Valley. As a Trial and Health Care Attorney, Steve is experienced in all phases of personal injury, municipal liability, professional negligence, malpractice and transactional litigation in all Courts. Steve's expertise further extends to real-time Bio-Medical and Hospital practice issues.
Steve began his career in the Bronx District Attorney's office where he tried over 75 cases to verdict, many of which involved narcotics and one of the first crack cases in the City of New York. The hard-hitting impact of these prosecutions improved daily life in the greater Bronx community.
Upon leaving the District Attorney's Office, Steve joined a Hudson Valley firm and focused on medical malpractice defense, representation of health care professionals and defense of State administrative investigations. In 1991, Steve joined the predecessor firm to CMMR and became a partner in 1996.
As one of the most accomplished trial lawyers in the State, Steve has tried nearly 200 cases to verdict with a high success rate. Steve has also counseled and represented health care professionals before state boards and during state investigations. Since joining CMMR, Steve has litigated and tried a wide spectrum of commercial cases while focusing upon the representation of doctors, nurses, other healthcare professionals and institutions.
Steve has had great success protecting the rights of negligence victims injured as a result of motor vehicle accidents, slips and falls, dangerous conditions on premises, and defective products. He has been honored with membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Society, a distinction recognizing his unparalleled representation of the injured in personal injury cases and the New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers. Steve remains one of only a handful of Upstate New York lawyers honored with the Super Lawyer distinction multiple years running.
Born and raised in Yonkers, New York, Steve has deep roots in the Hudson Valley and completed his education locally.
Steve is admitted to practice before all state courts in New York and New Jersey, all Federal Courts in those states, as well as the Supreme Court of the United States.
Steve has taught both in paralegal training programs, and lectured to various attorney organizations: Lecturer and Chapter Author in the field of Civil Trials and Litigation; Former Counsel to Bio-Medical Ethics Committee and Institutional Review Board; Past President Orange County Bar Association; Past President Monroe-Woodbury Pop Warner Football League; Voted "Top Attorney" Upstate New York 2007-2010, rated among top 5% of attorneys in Upstate New York; Member Executive Committee of the New York State Conference of Bar Leaders; Rated in 2013 as among the Top 5% of Upstate New York Attorneys.
Areas of Practice
- Health Law and Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Medical, Legal and Professional Malpractice Defense
- Personal Injury
- New Jersey, 1983
- New York, 1982
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1983
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1983
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1982
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
Pace University School of Law
White Plains, New York
J.D. - 1981
State University of New York College
Buffalo, New York
B.A. - 1976
- Author, "Trial Advocacy in New York, The Defendants Perspective", PLI
- Author, "Winning the Slip and Fall Case", Defendants Summation
- Lecturer, "Trial Advocacy in New York"
- Lecturer "Civil Trial Procedure in New York, Winning the Slip and Fall Case"
Honors and Awards
- Rated in 2007 as Among the Top 5% of Upstate New York Attorneys (and each year thereafter)
- Rose Rosen 2012 Award from the Women's Bar Association of Orange and Ulster Counties
- Who's Who in American Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- President, Orange County Bar Association 2008
- Member, Orange Regional Medical Center Institutional Review Board
- Member, Orange Regional Medical Center Bio-Medical Ethics Committee
- Founding Attorney, Bedford-Mt. Kisco Youth Court
- National Board of Trial Advocacy, Member
- Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney
- Board Certified Civil Pre-Trial Attorney