Richard F. Liberth (Retired)
Richard F. Liberth, senior partner in Catania, Mahon, Milligram & Rider, PLLC, has successfully tried cases in the Hudson Valley for over 30 years. He has handled multi- million dollar cases for personal injury clients as well as dozens of professional malpractice cases turned away by juries as being meritless. He is a respected member of the New York State Bar Association and past president of the Orange County Bar Association.
Mr. Liberth's practice of law has been focused on areas of litigation including legal and medical malpractice defense, personal injury, commercial litigation, insurance defense and product liability. With a concentration on municipal law, he has represented numerous municipalities throughout the Hudson Valley in both their day to day needs and defending their litigation in both state and federal courts.
In 2005, Mr. Liberth was nominated to the Board of Trustees of Orange Regional Medical Center Foundation and is currently an officer of that Board. For more than 10 years, he has been the Chief Counsel for the Jason Conklin Fraternal Order of Police in Monroe, NY. Mr. Liberth has previously served on the Boards of the Orange County Legal Aid Society and Inspire, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting individuals with disabilities. Over the years, he has received considerable recognition. Most notable was being selected as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America. Invitation in this trial lawyer honorary society is highly selective recognizing less than one-half of 1 percent of American lawyers. It is based upon effectiveness and accomplishment in litigation and superior ethical reputation.
Recently, Mr. Liberth was appointed to his second four year term as a member of the 9th Judicial District Character and Fitness Committee by the New York State Appellate Division 2nd Department. He is responsible for interviewing applicants for admission to practice as attorneys and counselors-at-law in New York State.
Mr. Liberth is a graduate of the University of Denver and received his Juris Doctorate degree from Brooklyn Law School. He has been with TCLMM for 30 years after leaving his position as a Senior Assistant District Attorney for the County of Rockland.
Areas of Practice
- Municipal Law and Litigation
- Commercial and General Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Medical, Legal and Professional Malpractice Defense
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- New York, 1977
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1981
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1981
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Brooklyn Law School
Brooklyn, New York
University of Denver
- Lecturer, "Getting Your Evidence and Expert Testimonies Admitted", National Business Institute
Honors and Awards
- Rated in 2009 as among the Top 5% of Upstate New York
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Who's Who in American Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Greater Newburgh Bar Association, Past President, 1989
- Orange County Bar Association, Past President, 1997
- New York State Bar
- Orange Regional Medical Center Foundation, Board of Trustees
- Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #957, Chief Counsel