Jennifer M. McCave
Jennifer McCave, a native of New York City, joined Catania, Mahon, Milligram & Rider, PLLC, as an associate in May 2017, bringing with her 6 years of experience litigating complex cases in state and federal courts in New York and Vermont.
Prior to entering the legal field, Jennifer earned an undergraduate degree in chemical engineering and was employed for eight years as an information technology and business consultant for several large corporations in the New York City area, including Accenture, KPMG, and Citigroup, as well as the Environmental Protection Agency.
In 2006 Jennifer decided to pursue her true passion, the law, and moved to Vermont to attend Vermont Law School, where she earned a Juris Doctorate as well as an L.L.M. (Master of Laws) in Environmental Law. During law school Jennifer served as a notes editor for the Vermont Law Review and worked as a litigation intern for the New York State Attorney General’s office as well as several environmental non-profit organizations.
After graduating with honors from Vermont Law School, Jennifer’s first legal position was with a consulting firm in Washington, D.C., where she advised federal agencies regarding their National Environmental Policy Act regulations. Jennifer then returned to Vermont and entered private practice. She worked as a litigation associate for two prominent law firms in Vermont where she primarily focused on employment litigation, wage and hour litigation, commercial litigation, personal injury defense litigation on behalf of ski resorts, environmental remediation cost recovery litigation, and insurance defense and coverage litigation. After returning to New York State last year to be closer to her family, Jennifer litigated high profile cases involving environmental and energy law for a non-profit organization before joining CMMR.
As a result of her engineering and information technology consulting background, Jennifer brings a valuable technical and business perspective to her legal representation and is particularly skilled at working with expert witnesses during litigation.
Jennifer currently resides in Blooming Grove in Orange County, NY, and enjoys hiking in the Hudson Valley with her two dogs and playing soccer with the Orange County Women’s League.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate and Business Law
- Environmental and Energy Litigation
- Municipal and Land Use Law
- Municipal and School District Defense Litigation
- Environmental Remediation Cost Recovery Litigation
- Labor, Employment, and Wage and Hour Litigation
- Medical Malpractice and other Professional Malpractice Defense
- Insurance Defense and Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Article 78 Proceedings
- Intellectual Property Law
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Civil Rights Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- Vermont, 2010
- New York, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2016
- U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont, 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2017
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York, 2017
Vermont Law School
South Royalton, Vermont
L.L.M. in Environmental Law, Cum Laude (2010)
J.D., Magna Cum Laude (2009)
Stevens Institute of Technology
Hoboken, New Jersey
B.E. Chemical Engineering, High Honors; Minor, Social Science (1998)
- Lecturer, “Fundamentals of Employment Law” seminars (2015 and 2016), Sterling Education Services
Honors and Awards
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- National Science Foundation Scholar
- Scholar Athlete Award (NCAA Division III Soccer)
- Vermont Law School Academic Excellence Awards for Civil Procedure and Watersheds Management
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association
- Women's Bar Association of Orange and Sullivan Counties
- Orange County Bar Association
- Vermont Bar Association
- Orange County Women’s Soccer League